DEADLINE EXTENDED: 11:59 p.m. ET Monday, Jan. 17, 2022
AANM Writing Fellows – Application
In-person at the Arab American National Museum
AANM invites Dearborn/Detroit-area high school students to apply for the AANM Writing Fellows program, a creative writing fellowship opportunity. Applications are due by Jan. 17, 2022. Up to 25 students will be selected for the program. No creative writing experience is necessary!
Please note that in order to qualify for AANM Writing Fellows, students are required to show proof of full vaccination, remain masked during sessions, and fill out a weekly health screening form upon check-in, per AANM policy.
Join us 5:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, Jan. 6 for the Writing Fellows Application Workshop, online via Zoom. Walk through the application with us and come with any questions!
AANM Writing Fellows is a 5-month long program focusing on poetry, fiction, script and graphic novels/zine-making centered on sci-fi, speculative fiction and futurism. Led by a team of professional writers from metro Detroit — poet and educator Alise Alousi, author and artist Leila Abdelrazaq, and multi-disciplinary storyteller Levon Kafafian — the program will provide students with opportunities for self-expression, representation, agency and collaboration with peers.
In this fellowship, you will get one-on-one training with published award-winning writers as you invent forms and worlds. Use your imagination to launch us collectively into the free future! Coming from a community that has historically been silenced, finding our authentic voices is an act of futurity. Call yourself a writer. We are here to help. This program is especially designed for our local community, and we intend to give our students access to world-class creative writing skills.
Apply today and learn different ways to make art about/into the future through your own unique lens. Participants will share their work in a final performance, and receive a Certificate of Completion and a $250 gift card upon full completion of the program.
The program will take place on Thursday evenings at the Arab American National Museum (AANM) from February through June 2022. More information is available on the application form.
For questions about accessibility or to request accommodations, e-mail Fatima Al-Rasool at fal-rasool “at” accesscommunity.org
What you can expect from AANM Writing Fellows:
- A creative writing program led by a team of professional writers from metro Detroit
- Opportunities to build community with other youth writers
- Learn different ways to make art about/into the future through your own unique lens
- Ability to connect and learn from additional renowned national/international writers
- Development of enhanced performance and public speaking skills via a public performance/live reading
- Your work published in an anthology of work by all of the AANM Writing Fellows
- A Certificate of Completion and a $250 gift card upon full completion of the program
- A professional headshot (photo of yourself!)
- A great addition to your resume
Expectations of Participants:
- Attend each of the weekly sessions from February through June 2022
- Show up to each session on time
- Engage in the activities for each session
- Write and express your truth (and fictions), and be open to learning new ways to expand them and get them on the page and beyond
- Provide your best completed writing (with the help of teaching artists) for the final AANM Writing Fellows anthology
- Attend and present at a culminating public event at AANM in June 2022
- Share feedback with other youth participants to sharpen each other’s craft
- Share feedback with facilitators to ensure that programming can be improved
Made possible in part by