DEADLINE: 11:59 p.m. ET Monday, May 15, 2023
In-person at the Arab American National Museum
AANM invites Dearborn/Detroit-area high school students to apply for the AANM Writing Fellows program, a creative writing fellowship opportunity. Applications are due by May 15, 2023. Up to 20 students will be selected for the program. No creative writing experience is necessary!
The program will take place in-person at AANM from 1-3 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, June 20 – August 19, 2023. Please review the information below before filling out the application.
AANM Writing Fellows is a 3-month long program led by AANM focusing on poetry centered on nature, land and sustainability. The program will provide students with opportunities for self-expression, representation, agency and collaboration with peers. Apply today!
What you can expect from AANM Writing Fellows
- A creative writing program led by a team of professional writers from metro Detroit
- Opportunities to build community with other youth writers
- Learn different ways to make art about/into the future through your own unique lens
- Ability to connect and learn from additional renowned national/international writers
- Furthering your connection with nature and the land around you.
- Development of enhanced performance and public speaking skills via a public performance/live reading
- Your work published in an anthology of work by all of the AANM Writing Fellows
- A Certificate of Completion and a $250 gift card upon full completion of the program
- A professional headshot (photo of yourself!)
- A great addition to your resume
Expectations of Participants:
- Attend each of the sessions from June through August 2023
- Show up to each session on time
- Engage in the activities for each session
- Write and express your truth (and fictions), and be open to learning new ways to expand them and get them on the page and beyond
- Provide your best completed writing (with the help of teaching artists) for the final AANM Writing Fellows anthology
- Attend and present at a culminating public event at AANM in August 2023
- Share feedback with other youth participants to sharpen each other’s craft
- Share feedback with facilitators to ensure that programming can be improved
For questions about accessibility or to request accommodations, email Public Programming Coordinator Fatima Al-Rasool at fal-rasool “at” accesscommunity.org
Made possible in part by